- Term expires in 1 year (through 2016): This Junior Representative position, currently held by Jenae Tilford, is up for election every year. If you are under the age of 21, you are eligible to run for this office. In the event that there is no junior member nominated for this position, it may be filled by an adult member.
- Term expires in 3 years (through 2018): This position, currently held by Dara Liss, is a 3-year term, up for election as scheduled. The member elected to fill this position is committing to serve 3 years. (Thank you, Dara, for 3 wonderful years on the board!)
- Term expires in 3 years (through 2018): This position, currently held by Emily Johnson, is a 3-year term, up for election as scheduled. The member elected to fill this position is committing to serve 3 years. (Thanks, Emily, for serving on the board for the past year!)
What are a board member's responsibilities?
You may be wondering, "If I am elected, what exactly will I be expected to do?"
Primarily, you are committing to attend regular NDA Board of Directors meetings in which the board discusses and votes on regular NDA business, rule changes, finances, events, and general management. These meetings are typically once a month and last approximately 2 hours, though special meetings may be called if necessary. Please make sure you are available to attend as many meetings as possible; attending less than half of the meetings in a year will result in automatic removal from the board. There may be other business conducted by the Board of Directors in between meetings via email. (For full details, check out the NDA Member Handbook.)
Basically, this is your chance to help shape NDA into the best, most educational, most successful dressage organization it can be. If you've got ideas, we want to hear them!
How do all the different board positions work?
At the annual meeting, the NDA members will hold a general election to select our 3 new members for the Board of Directors.
The newly elected board will confer about which board members are seeking or would accept an officer position (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary).
- If there are any contested offices (more than one board member seeking an officer position), a written vote will be taken for that position.
- Otherwise, if only one board member is interested in an officer position, a hand voteby all members will be taken in order to approve each office.
I don't know...I've never done anything like this before.
It's okay—we're friendly! You don't have to have any previous experience working on a Board of Directors—though if you have, that's great, too! Whether this is your first time, or you've run for (or served) the NDA Board in the past, you are completely and totally welcome. We're looking for people who have great ideas and a desire to promote dressage in our community.
Okay, I want to throw my hat in the ring!
How do I do it?Great! We're super-excited to have you! To nominate yourself, all you have to do is send us a short bio describing yourself, your history in the dressage community, and what you might bring to NDA. Before the annual meeting, we will email the bios to the NDA membership to review. At the annual meeting on November 1, you'll be asked to introduce yourself (if you're unable to be present, please arrange to have someone else introduce you on your behalf), and then the election will be held. If you are elected, your term will begin on January 1, and your first NDA meeting will be during that month. And remember—you must be an NDA member in good standing to be on the board, so make sure you renew your membership for 2016! You can do so at the annual meeting or online.
I don't want to run for the board, but I do want to vote.
What do I need to know?First, if you know anybody you think might make a good board member, PLEASE share this information with them and encourage them to nominate themselves! Then, make sure that you are at the NDA Annual Meeting and Year-End Awards Banquet so that you can cast your vote during the election. If you can't be there, you may assign another NDA member to vote on your behalf (by proxy). Your proxy must be an NDA member in good standing and must be present at the annual meeting. Just fill out the proxy box on the Banquet Registration form. Make sure you get your registrations in before October 24!
Also, make sure you review the proposed bylaw changes that we wil be voting on during the Annual Meeting.
The deadline is Saturday, October 24!
If you're planning to come to the year-end banquet and awards ceremony, you MUST send in the registration form and payment! Contact Jane Fucinaro right away if you have not sent yours in!